Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The History Class

She used to ask him, the one sitting on extreme right corner - on the first bench, to start reading the first paragraph of the chapter, out loud.

"Each one of you, read a paragraph - sit down - and let the guy next to you, read from where you leave", this was understood and was embedded in our subconscious mind. The moment she said, "Start reading from here", pointing at a guy, we knew we have to follow the sequence.

While in the second row, somewhere around last bench was my seat; I immediately used to start counting the paragraph that would fall on me. The nervous system was alerted; and on top of it, some over intelligent / over smart kid - out of the blue - read 2 paragraphs (to impress the teacher, certainly); the entire calculation had to be done again. "Now which paragraph would fall on me?"





The nervousness used to take over my consciousness and I had no clue about what's actually happening.

There was nothing more scary than the thought of fumbling while reading that paragraph out loud in the class; therefore I used to practice before my turn. Not knowing, or even willing to know about what the chapter was about.

And worst of all, imagine, if someone just before you, read your paragraph that you were practicing until then - its all back to null. You finally get up having no idea and asking your friend, "Where do I have to start reading from?".

Even while reading, I used to emphasize more on getting-the-english-right. And once all was done - I sit with confidence as if I had won a battle against a monster; and I would enjoy looking at others doing the same exercise I had done. Relieved, sigh and phew... by then, who cares what the chapter was about.


This was our History class and an activity that almost all students of that age has done... Confess or lie!!!!

Today, when I recall that moment, I feel sad about such teachers, such students and such systems where this mediocre standards of teaching were (are) socially accepted.

Others teachers are boring, so boring that students either get at their creative best (many great ideas come while sitting in boring classrooms), or filling up closed areas in letters; or sleep...

Today, when I go through random History chapters, they all seem so exciting! Usually because, I am watching them on Youtube (Instead of reading out loud to others), reading Wikipedia pages (searching for something I want to know) or a friend is narrating a story to me. These ways of going through History, are far more easier and exciting than the conventional ways of our history teachers. Esp for History, good story tellers can become good teachers.

Guys, if you become a teacher in future (or are one); please try to understand such nuances of students rather than exercising your authority... Because if you do not make an effort to understand your students, they might write a blogpost about you when they grow up..

No comments:

Post a Comment